Sunday, January 24, 2010

"Harvey Potter's Balloon Farm" By: Jerdine Nolen and Mark Buehner

This book is one of my favorites from when I was a kid. I remember that I not only loved the story, but the illustrations were fun too! I think that this is a great story to read to students. It is a very original story, and would be a great book to read when talking about creative writing. It could be used as an opener to a creative writing unit because it would get the kids thinking out of the box.
This book is also a great book because the narrator has a very distinct voice. The book is told from the perspective of an older women who is looking back to when she was a kid. I think this book would be a great example to use for a writing lesson that discusses the voice of the narrator. In addition to the voice of the narrator this book could also be used to talk about perspective. The narrator tells the story from her perspective. It would make for a nice discussion starter or writing prompt. The students could talk or write about how the story would be different if it was told from Harvey Potter or Wheezle Mayfield's perspective.
I think this book has a great story line and would be a wonderful book for kindergarteners all the way to 6th graders.

No comments:

Post a Comment