Friday, April 2, 2010

"JULIUS, The Baby of the World" By: Kevin Henkes

Hahaha...is my first reaction after reading this book. It's a really cute story about an older sister who has a new baby brother. While Julius is in his mother's belly Lilly is the nicest big sister. But when Julius is finally born things change, and Lilly is not a nice big sister. She is the queen of the world, and Julius doesn't seem to fit in her world. Her parents adore Julius and think he is wonderful and cute, and they try everything to get Lilly to agree. But she doesn't. It's not until Lilly's cousin, Garland, comes to Julius' birthday celebration that Lilly's mind is changed.
I know that I can definitely relate to this story! I am the oldest sister, and like Lilly I had a difficult time adjusting to having a younger sibling. Just like Lilly would ask her parents when her brother was going away; I would tell my mom that she didn't need to feed my younger sister. I think that this book is very cute, and many kids will be able to relate to it. Eventually Lilly learns to love her brother, but it takes some time.
I think this story would be great to read to kids who are going to become older siblings or have recently become older siblings. It shows that having a sibling can be a lot of fun once you accept that they aren't going anywhere. I also think kids will like this book because it has a lot of cute pictures. The mouse characters are adorable, and the pictures are very colorful. The book's pages are designed in a neat way. Some pages have one picture on them while others have multiple pictures. The text is above and below the various pictures, and on some pages the mice have some quotes along with their illustration. It is also cute because Lilly is on every page of the book, including the title and dedication pages (she really is queen of the world). I enjoyed reading this book, and definitely recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment