Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"Frindle" By: Adnrew Clements

The book Frindle was recommended to me by a good friend of mine. She raved about how much she enjoyed this book when she was younger. I remembered hearing about the book, but never got around to reading it. After finishing Frindle I now understand why my friend was so adamant that I read it. Frindle is a very cute book that inspires creativity and fun among its readers. It is also funny because the main character, Nick, is full of wonderful ideas but he hates homework. He is the king of distracting his teachers during class so that they forget about the homework they were about to assign. But Nick's new 5th grade teacher seems to know all the tricks of the trade, and instead of falling for his attempt to distract her he gets himself stuck with a little report on how words are created. Nick's report on words gets him thinking, and before he knows it he has created a new word!
This book has a very sweet message about teachers and how they work to inspire their students' ideas and work. It also shows the reader that with dedication and a good idea you never know what might happen!
This is a great book that both boys and girls would enjoy. I could see advanced 4th graders reading Frindle all the way to 6th graders. I definitely plan on adding this book to my classroom library!

No comments:

Post a Comment