Sunday, February 21, 2010

"Owl Moon" By: Jane Yolen

Owl Moon is a very cute book about a tradition called owling. After having gone owling with his two sons it's now the little girls turn to go owling with her dad. This book has great details! It's told from the little girl's perspective. She describes all the sights, sounds, and feelings of being out in the cold night owling.
The illustrations also help the reader feel like they are outide in the cold winter night too. The illustrations are done by John Schoenherr. The illustrations start on the title page where there is a picture of the little girl opening the door to the dark cold night. The various details of this book are all tied together well, even the end pages go nicely with the theme of the book. They are a navy blue which is the dark color of the winter night.
I really liked this book, and could see using in my classroom for a mini-lesson during writing workshop. I would read it to 1st graders, and I would also read it to 5th graders. We would then either have a mini-lesson on setting or about using details in our writing. I hope to add this book to my classroom library in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment