Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"The Popcorn Book" By: Tomie de Paola

The Popcorn Book is a nonfiction book. By looking at the cover I would have expected it to be a realistic fiction book. This was a very interesting book. It talks about the history and other fact about popcorn. I never would have thought that popcorn had so much history to it. For example, did you know that out of the three main types of corn popcorn is the oldest. I would have thought that field corn, which is used to feed animals and sweet corn which is the type we eat would have been older than popcorn. I also wouldn't have guessed that the Indians discovered popcorn.
I thought this book was very interesting, and it had a cute little story of two brothers making popcorn to go along with all the facts. I also like how the text is incorporated into this book. The entire book is told through word bubble discussion. The facts are printed in a standard font, while the conversational words are written in a handwritten font. I enjoyed reading this book, and would recommend it to others, especially if you're curious about popcorn.

1 comment:

  1. I also loved this book. I took it in to read with my study buddy. I like that it is nonfiction told in a cartoon fashion. I also liked the different angles of history they told about the popcorn. I think this book would hold children's attention and give them a fun story with interesting facts.

    ReplyDelete