Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"Land of the Blindfolded" By: Tsukuba Sakura

The Land of the Blindfolded was the first manga that I have ever read. Manga's are the Japanese style of comic books. There were a few things that I needed to get used to when reading a manga. The first was that it reads from left to right, and the second is that the boxes in mangas are sometimes different shapes and sizes. Because of the various types of boxes it took me a while to get used to this reading style. I would sometimes read the page out of order, but by the end of the story I had no problem reading the book.
This specific manga is about a girl in high school, Kanade, who can see the future. Contact with other people will induce her random glimpses of the future. At first it's hard for Kanade to deal with seeing the future because she can't always stop the events from happening. While Kanade can see the future, Arou, a boy in her grade can see a person's past. Like Kanade, Arou's glimpses happen when he makes contact with another person or even an object. But unlike Kanade, Arou sees glimpses of the past all the time. Arou and Kanade become friends, and their friendship allows them to talk with someone about their visions, which can sometimes be a lot to handle.
I thought this manga was interesting, and I can see why some students might really enjoy reading these books. I would definitely recommend this manga to older students, such as fifth and sixth graders. I think that this manga is geared more towards a girl audience, but I think that boys might also enjoy this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment